Thursday, July 07, 2011

Kick Starter?

Some of you may have heard of this new website called kickstarter (www.kickstarter.com). For those of you who haven't I can explain. Kickstarter is a website where creative types can raise money for new projects. This isn't limited to just music, but can be applied to many different creative endeavors. For example, documentaries, design ideas, musical records, and the list goes on. The catch to raising money is that people pledge and if the goal is met the funds are pushed through. If the goal is not met no ones pledge is collected. It's pretty crazy how much money is being pledged and raised through this site. Projects can be any amount. I've seen projects range from $1,000 to $250,000. It's pretty amazing and crazy.

When I first heard about this I was really excited. I saw how people were getting their projects funded and paid for. It was great. It was more than great it was amazing. All you had to do was offer some sort of tier based return system. If you pledge $1 you get.... $10 you get... $25 you get... and so on. The website started getting all sorts of attention from people in Houston. I only really know of bands and songwriters who used it to fund projects, but people were really talking about it.

But then I started to think about it. Yes it is an amazing way to raise funds for a creative project or design idea etc. But, at the end of the day the burden of this project no longer falls on the shoulders of the artist and or creator, but on the shoulders of it's supporters/fans/network/whatever you want to call it. I think most artists would say that's why it's so great, but I tend to disagree. Not completely, but on a couple of levels.

First, what if you are a big fan of a certain songwriter or band and you have the ability to give $10 dollars so that they can make another record? Sounds great right? What if the record isn't any good? I guess you are willing to take that chance at $10 bucks right? What about $25 bucks? $50? $100? Over $1000?! and yes people are giving thousands if not more in some cases. I think at the end of the day the burden should fall on the artist.

Second, don't we have to work for what we get? At least it used to be that way in the days of our parents. I think we have turned into a society where anything goes and most things should go your way and be free at the same time. There is a huge sense of entitlement amongst our generation. People expect to live in a nice place with nice things and have a nice job that pays a lot of $. All the while basically doing nothing for it.

I don't know. On some levels I like it and some levels I don't. Honestly it's probably just some really douchey people on there that don't need the money and are getting all of their "fans" to pay for their lazy ass self centered lack of hard work.

Last thing. I have a studio. It's a creative endeavor. I could set a goal to make my studio better, bigger, higher quality, etc. I could offer all sorts of tiers as to what you could get from my studio. The difference is that the end product is up to the pledger instead of the artist/creator. But would you REALLY give money to that cause?

J

1 comment:

Masta'Blasta said...

jay, i couldnt agree with you more.... you nailed it on the head as far as my thoughts went, but you say it so much prettier than i do... from the start, the idea of kickstarter projects didnt sit well with me... there's a much more satisfying feeling when you've put your heart and soul into a project, sometimes even blood, and then the satisfaction of it being finished. The feelings of independence and accomplishment outweigh the feeling of counting on others to help you out. I'd say write some songs, throw your lyrics up before and if they make sense, and there's a good enough message to justify a song, then give them a chance to contribute... i recently came across a project that had lyrics that didnt make sense at all... but the production was killer. the project ended up getting "bailed out" by mommy and everybody who wasnt going to get theirpledges taken had them respectively "stolen"... i understand gifts from parents, but the morality of it just doesnt sit right with me... thanks for sharing your thoughts.