Sunday, November 23, 2008

Done!

I just finished another project. Jay bought me 2 canvases last year for Christmas that have been hanging blank on our walls ever since. On Halloween, I finally started on the big one and just finished:


As seen hanging above the couch:
(It's hanging really high because I had Jay help me put the wire on the canvas and then accidentally painted it up-side-down...I'll eventually move the wire so it hangs farther down.)

Admittedly, it matches absolutely nothing else in our apartment. For those of you who remember/took part in the Walton painting, you understand what an undertaken these "modern pointillism" paintings actually are! To do this, I found a picture of Houston and pixelated it to be made up of .5" x .5" squares and then limited it to 7 colors. Then it's just like paint by number on a canvas that has been divided up into a grid with .5" pixels. It seriously takes forever, though. It would be awesome to get it silk-screen printed onto canvas...

Close up:
From Wikipedia: Pointillism is a style of painting in which small distinct points of primary colors create the impression of a wide selection of secondary and intermediate colors. See? Really like pointillism aided by Photoshop!

4 comments:

giga said...

Love the colors! I do recall the process being addictive and fun when done together. It looks great.

Lindsay said...

yeah this was more of an "independent" project...i should have recruited again!

LaurenMZ said...

It doesn't have to match anything in your place! I like the contrast. Amazing project ... the type our husbands have nightmares about.

Jared and Kat said...

It looks great Linz! I remember painting those squares at the kitchen table for lots of hours. How long did it take?