Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Questions, Questions, Questions

So after many days thinking about different topics - I have come up with a list of questions(not too long) that I need to ask myself and others to find the opinion of the Lord that has somehow been kept from my understanding. Please feel free to answer these questions.

1. If my theology is wrong - do I believe in a God that is wrong? or If my theology is flawed - then do I believe in a flawed God or potentially a God that cannot save me?

2. If I serve in a certain church - be it Methodist, Baptist, Presb., Bible, non-denom., Anglican - does that mean that I have to adopt their beliefs? or does that mean that I endorse what they believe and agree that it is truth?

3. Does God want me to be deeply concerned with my own theology or his theology? -

4. Should my theology determine where I go to church?

CHANGING GEARS NOW

In our generation/s worship music has become more and more prevalent. It is also taking on an avenue for business.

1. For a church/camp/event - what is the benefit of hiring a band, (that has no connection with that specific group of people) - for leading worship? and if the answer is simply for the hope of a better worship experience - then I am in the wrong profession - so please don't say that

2. If I should be based at a church or have a HOME CHURCH - then how does it make sense for me to travel all the time and play music for a living? - which is what I desire to do.

3. Is their only one avenue for honoring God in music or are there multiple? here are the choices A. play at church and serve in the worship band of your home church and your home church only - B. be in a completely secular band or C. be in a worship band that maybe plays at your home church or maybe not and also plays for anything else they can get their hands on - or finally - D. it doesn't matter -

4. Does it please God to make money for leading worship?

- I would love to hear feedback - Tell your friends

4 comments:

shauna said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
shauna said...

I totally hear you on all of that. it rings a bell for me. a couple years ago i had a difficult time and finally stopped going to church because i was sick to my stomach from all the different denominations and people getting caught up in trivial things like having a band in church causing division and so forth . . . bleh.

i finally forced myself to the grove in '03, and it slowly became a good place for me. if i'm being honest, it would very tough to ever go back to church if i ever moved away and did not have the grove.
of course these are just my opinions - my thoughts, so please take that into consideration. everyone is different.

on some of the questions you asked, i have struggled with the same things. it sounds like you're asking the difficult ones.

my initial reaction is, "don't ever compromise yourself and what you believe is the truth". but there is something higher than simply "our truths", and that's God's truth.
now i know a lot of people distort and twist God's truth, but God's truth still stands. it's still here for us to seek. so look to God. don't necessarily look to the church for answers. look to God and His word first and foremost, and let it speak to you intimately. straight from God to Jay. God might speak differently to you than He would to me for example.

will you disagree with a certain church or denomination? heck yes. i'm sure it will happen.
but i've also learned that even though a certain church may anger me or i strongly disagree with their ideas these people are still my brothers and sisters in Christ, and i cannot run away from that either. we are family. God uses that to interact with us as well.
i think it will always be a struggle, a journey. we are human. we often clash with one another.

so i guess those are my blabberings in response to your post. if you strongly believe something to be true or not true, then don't necessarily compromise your beliefs. be cautious. be wise.
i hope i don't get zapped for saying this, but the church is not always right. we are fallible. i speak for myself as well, because these are my struggles too. and sometimes there simply are no clear cut answers. these things are complicating, and i guess we just learn how to walk and grow from it.

ok, enough jabbering. i hope i didn't bore you or anything.

BTW - Stu dropped you a call the other night. (he's not a blogger).

shauna said...

sorry . . . more rantings . . . this time on the latter part of your post . . .

i'm no expert on church, so i'm really not a good one to give you a response, but jesus was kinda nomadic wasn't he? paul was also nomadic, hey? yet they set out doing God's work.

just something to think about. we are called to different things. it's OBVIOUS music is your gift. your calling.

Brett said...

Jay, I got your message. I'm currently in Colorado with spotty Internet access. I'll take a more detailed look at your questions when I get home (late next week).

Know that I'm praying for you...