Sunday, October 03, 2010

Sing-A-Long

Jay and I and I have quite different tastes in music, and we love music for different reasons. I think he appreciates the craftsmanship where I just get drawn in by the overall aesthetic/feel.

Take, for example, what we would each pick for a sing-a-long:
  • Jay = Michael Jackson
  • Me = THIS (the pictures put to this are hilarious)
He argues that MJ has songs that everyone can easily sing along with. I think my idea of a sing-a-long is more exclusive. You have to know the song...know the words...know what's coming...know when the build is coming. And then the song becomes a shared experience. And I know that sounds ridiculous, but I think that's the sole reason success bands like Dashboard Confessional have success (just imagine all those emo kids singing along...).

In college I use to go to concerts all the time with this small group of crazy music lovers. The other girl even DJed for a local indie station. One time we went to a Rilo Kiley concert in Austin and listened to Rilo the entire way there AND back. THIS was a particularly good one for our sing-a-long group due to the group vocals and clapping (yes we did clap in the car).

And for songs like those, the sing-a-long becomes the greatness of the song.

3 comments:

Kathryn said...

one part we always sing especially loud - WHERE'S THE SOUL I WANNA KNOW?? new york city is evil the surface is everything BUT I COULD NEVER DO THAT someone would see through that!!

those pictures were fantastic and so well timed. i just cant believe a person took so much time to work that all out. wow.

i totally agree with you on the sing alongs Linz..although our family is a little weird about music. Remember the Guster (fun for the whole family!) concert?

Kathryn said...

remember when you learned how to play so long sweet summer on guitar???

Unknown said...

So how does Katy Perry fit into your musical love category? I'm not following how her music provides some amazing aesthetic/feel which entices a group shared experience. Perhaps I'm just not in the exclusive Katy Perry club.

Your explanation does make sense. MJ, however, is amazing. He has some songs which aren't as popular which would definitely fit your sing-a-long criteria.