Thursday, May 04, 2006

U.S. Military into Iran?

So - I'm always blogging about myself so I decided to talk about something else.

Most people by now have been hearing rumors about Iran and their attempt to enrich uranium for use in possible nuclear weapons. The UN deadline is soon or already passed and now that the U.S. is in Iraq we have troops on both sides of the Iranian border. This is just an observation, but that seems really scary to me. Iran is not little and their military is much larger and much more organized.

I also happened to see "united 93". Which made me angry. I also thought during that movie about the idea of redemptive violence. For instance - how would Jesus tell us to deal with terrorists on a suicide hijacked plane. That may be a stupid road to go down, but it still made me think. Would he be pleased if I was to hurt one of them? and possibly save the lives of others?

5 comments:

Shelly said...

Interesting thought - I think scripture shows that God does not act passively toward evil, and would thus say serving/saving one's country/family/etc. against an evil force, hijackers per se, is an entirely righteous ambition. I may think on that more, but these are my initial thoughts.

Hope you're well!

Jay said...

I think you are somewhat right... However, Hijackers didn't have any involvement with Iraq or Iran. Righteous ambitions can often turn into selfish one's especially when you are doing it in the name of service,freedom,love. Or when you stand to benefit from it as well.

Shelly said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Shelly said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Shelly said...

I agree, however, I think it's dangerous to begin to suggest that most righteous ambitions are, at their core, motivated only by (or transition in to) selfish ambition ... it's by grace that we have the heart to stand up against an evil force in the first place. Of course, you're right in that many selfish ambitions can be mistakenly perceived or claimed as "righteous," but those that truly are lie in a seldomly-reached plane that your earlier question hints at.

One spot where this transition can be repeatedly seen is in politics - those who make a career out of being in the House or on the Senate can be of little service to the country when they begin trying to please their colleagues in Washington as opposed to serving their contingent back home. One of our Oklahoma senators, Tom Coburn, has been an advocate against this sort of thing and is a real blessing to the nation as a part of the leadership.

Anyway, you bring up a good point.